• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident, No Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmg123

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

While driving to school during a snow storm, my car spun out and went into the other lane hitting another car. I stopped on the scene and talked to the driver of the other vehicle. The police were not contacted and did not come to the scene of the accident. I gave the other driver my name and my cell phone number. He said at the scene that he would not get the slight damage to his vehicle fixed since it was an older model. I did not get any of his information. He contacted me once while I was on vacation and left a message. I planned to contact him when I returned, but my cell phone broke and I did not have his number written down. That was the last I had heard from him, which was approximately 4 weeks ago. The accident happened in early March. Yesterday I had a message from the police department saying I needed to contact them regarding the accident. Does the other driver still have the right to file a police report? Am I still responsible for damage to his vehicle?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Because in Michigan, no-fault applies to property damage as well as injuries. So OP is only responsible for $500 of the other driver's damages, no more. And his insurance should cover that.

But yes, you should contact the police, it's never a good idea to ignore that kind of stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">