• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident private lot no one driving the car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

calredfoot

Accident occurred in Texas in company private parking lot, shared by my company and two other companies.
Accident occurred on or about June 2000 and my car was uninsured at time of accident. I had left ins. laspe since car was inoperable for a considerable period of time.
I didn't drive the car while uninsured, except the day of the accident.
I had made arrangements that very day to pay for and get ins. coverage after being paid.
The day of the incident, I drove the car carefully to work and parked it away from other cars intentionally.
After being paid, I deposited my check in bank so that I could pay for the ins. Returning to the lot I parked the car even further away from all other autos to avoid any problems.
It was parked on a very slight grade, hardly noticable
after returning from bank, I entered my work building and proceeded with my normal duties.
Within an hour, our security officer would tell me that my car, had traveled backwards across the parking lot striking one un-attended car, and another with a young lady sitting in it.
I was in a state of shock...
I immediately went to the parking lot, where a fire truck, ambulance, and police were assessing the situation.
my car had apparently travel some 50-100 ft backwards across the lot, and down the slight incline, apparently from the best I can remember striking the two cars in the rear, sort of side ways. (my car apparently stayed in this position for at least a half hour before moving)
The damage seemed very minimal to the other two cars
meanwhile the young woman was being placed on a stretcher, and I approached her telling her how sorry I was on the advice of a fellow employee.
She told me that she was not hurt, just going for the check up at that time.
The attending officer would be informed that I had no ins., told the other party who's car mine struck there was nothing he could do, he could not cite me for the accident happened on private property, and that I was not driving the car when it struck thier cars.
My car was locked at the time, of the roll back, the officer asked me to un-lock it, he entered the car and informed me the car was not in park, but in the drive position.
The officer would advise me to get ins. immediately and also advised the remaining car owner that he should turn this in to his ins company to get paid
I had no further contact with the parties after that day though I gave them my current ph. number address
About a month later, I would receive a ph. call from an ins. company asking me to call back, to tell them if I had ins. at the time of the accident.
I felt that was pretty obivious from the accident report, thus I didn't return their call.
About two month's later I will lose my job due to a surprise downsizing of my company.
The job had paid in the range of $10.00 per hour
Now wasI was forced to live in my car, (having gotten ins. as the officer recommended)
I maintained a private mail box during this time though having no real living abode.
One day I received a letter from a legal firm stating the ins. company of the individual or individual's (not sure if both) had turned my case over to them, that there was around $1900.00 in damages, and that they wanted to know if I was ins. at the time of the accident. They also threaten suit if I didn't reply.

My circumstances were dire to say the least at the time, having no assets, home, apartment, credit, as result of a very bad divorce. My car in fact was in very bad condition, and worth very little. In fact I am writing this to you as a result of a dear friend helping me through this mess called life.

I haven't heard again from these people, and eight or so months have now passed

My question is do I have to worry about this; I have been told that because I was not driving the car at time of accident, (did not directly cause the accident) it happened in a private parking lot, I was not cited, (just plain dumb luck) and that I have no assets to speak of that I shouldn't worry about it.

What opinions do you have regarding this issue
I would be happy to answer any other questions if needed. Sorry if I am too lengthy. My appologies!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">