• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident Reinbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DKM1130

What is the name of your state? Texas is the state of the accident.

I was in a car accident in June 2003. The drivers insurance company is trying to settle with me. The insurance company (Allstate) is reducing the amount of the emergency room bills and other bills to an amount the say they are willing to pay for the service. Can they do this? Am I to come out of pocket for the balance? Not only are the reducing the bills, which total $4000.00 they are only adding $1000.00 for personal injury. Is this normal? What is customary?

Last edited:

lwpat

Allstate is extremely difficult to deal with. They are responsible for paying the full amount of your medical if the charges are related to the accident. If they will get the providers to accept the lesser amount then that is not a problem but you don't want to be stuck with the remainder.

"What is customary"

There is no such thing. It depends on the extent of the injuries, if you lost time from work, and what you are willing to accept. In my experience this is a lowball offer if you have 4000 in legitimate medical expenses.

This could help...

I wasin a car accident last February and the insurance carrier was Allstate. This all sounds too familiar. I would suggest calling an attorney and ask them what you should expect. Sometimes they will give you a figure over the phone. Then call the allstate agent and barter with them. However, Allstate should pay all your medical bills. Call the place where you were seen and have them bill the Allstate agent directly. This may help.

I don't know if my situation was any different then yours but I was offered $100 per day for the two weeks I was in bed for the low back strain injury I received and they paid all my medical.

Good luck.

C

cgs

personal injury

If your medical bills were $4000 you should be getting a lot more for your pain and suffering, loss of wages, any meetings that you were unable to attend, etc. There is a multiplier that goes from 1.5 times the medical (for not bad injuries) to 10 times the medical
expenses (for very bad injuries). I would not settle for $1000 if I were you. Go to www.nolo.com. They have all kinds of great information on how to write a demand for settlement and about how much your claim is worth. Good luck!

lbryson

I was in an accident. The medical was about 6,000. The first insurance company settled with me for 50,000.00 Their max. I went on line after talking to some attorneys and down loaded a book and did went by the book

D

DKM1130

lbryson
Do you remember the book the lawyer told you about? My husband was hurt much worse then me. He is still receiving epidural injections in his back for the pain and is going to physical therapy. He has a lawyer. I wasn't hurt as bad.

Thanks,

-D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">