• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident-statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silvergull3434

What is the name of your state?My state is NY. Is there a statute of limitations to sue for injuries sustained in an auto accident?

MandyD

silvergull3434 said:
What is the name of your state?My state is NY. Is there a statute of limitations to sue for injuries sustained in an auto accident?

Yes there is.

In case you're interested, the SOL in NY is three years.

judge425

silvergull3434 said:

You need to be aware of certain exceptions... I need more information.. are you a minor (under 18?) if so, the SOL is tolled until your eighteenth B-Day.. If it is a case against a municipality than the SOL is less based on what specific governmental entity is involved.. If the case is against the US gov't which falls within the purview of the Tort Claims act, than its 6 months from the date of rejection of your notice of claim which is required to be filed within 2 years.. so a general statement that you have 3 years is less than comprehensive..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">