• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident and ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdnelson86

What is the name of your state? Illinois

hello, my fiance was in an accident friday morning in her ford ranger. She was merging onto the interstate when she hit a patch of black ice, lost control of the vehicle, and ended up in the left lane getting hit by another car. The other driver was not injured and my fiance seemed alright but was taken to the hospital to make sure (she ended up being fine...just bumps and bruises) but my question is this; She was ticketed for improper lane usage and the policeman marked on the ticket that the conditions were dry (even though she lost control due to ice) The big problem I have is that the policeman never consulted my fiance about what happened, he just showed up at the emergency room and handed her the ticket. I don't understand how he can go ahead and write a ticket based solely on one driver's side of the story. my guess is that the other driver didn't know exactly what caused my fiance to enter his lane of traffic so the policeman may have written the ticket thinking she may have just tried to merge directly into the far lane or something like that.

I'm pretty much at a loss. We have requested a trial rather than paying the ticket, but mostly I'm just looking to see right now if the ticket would even have a chance of holding up in court since the officer never talked to my fiance about what happened.

any help would be appreciated,
thanks

ecmst12

She lost control, it doesn't matter why. She was traveling too fast for conditions and failed to control the vehicle. The ticket is totally appropriate and she will be at fault for the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">