• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident\Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Labtec600

Well the lien holder went out of business last year sometime so I'm not sure who is on it now.
I know that the insurance company offered her $3,000 to allow her to keep her car but they said they would only send the check with her name on it and the lien holders name on it, meaning she wont be able to cash it...
Is that required if she is choosing to keep the car? They should send it with just her name on it right?

She is going to let them put salvage on the title and keep it.
But they are telling her they wont send a check with just her name on it.
Is that right? or is that law?
Yeah - figured. They are putting the leinholders name on it because they show up on the title. They have an interest in the vehicle (insurance company is going to protect themsevles - if the name is on it then they are part owner).

You should go to the DMV with information you have and get it taken care of.

RJ2011

Yeah - figured. They are putting the leinholders name on it because they show up on the title. They have an interest in the vehicle (insurance company is going to protect themsevles - if the name is on it then they are part owner).

You should go to the DMV with information you have and get it taken care of.

Thats lame.
If she is still planning on keeping the car the check should go to her so she can make at least some of repairs since its going to be a total.

Labtec600

Thats lame.
If she is still planning on keeping the car the check should go to her so she can make at least some of repairs since its going to be a total.
Tell the insurance company to hold off on sending the check, go to the DMV, get the title issue taken care of so the lien holder is not on the title, fax a copy of the new title to the insurance company and they will issue the check payable only to you.

RJ2011

Tell the insurance company to hold off on sending the check, go to the DMV, get the title issue taken care of so the lien holder is not on the title, fax a copy of the new title to the insurance company and they will issue the check payable only to you.
How would you get a lien off of a title if they aren't in business any longer?
There isn't a way to contact them.

Labtec600

How would you get a lien off of a title if they aren't in business any longer?
There isn't a way to contact them.
Go to the DMV and ask - I am sure they have a form. Your title is not the only title in the state that would have that lien holder on it.

RJ2011

Go to the DMV and ask - I am sure they have a form. Your title is not the only title in the state that would have that lien holder on it.
Ok. So she goes to dmv and fills out what? How does she know if the lien can be removed or not?
I'm not sure exactly what to tell her.

Labtec600

I think you're making it harder than it has to be.

Go with her - go to the DMV, tell them your lien holder went out of business but are still on the title and you need to know what to do to get them off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">