• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident w/vanishing driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

little_lebowski

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was involved in an automobile accident on 12/26. The driver who caused the accident ran a red light and collided with me and two other cars. His car was totalled, as was mine. The problem is that he feigned injury and was taken to Northwestern University Hospital via ambulance.

The driver claimed that he didn't have his license with him, and the police officer didn't get a name from him. The officer said that when he arrived at the hospital to issue this guy a ticket and get his name, he discovered that the "gentleman" had left the hospital after refusing treatment.

We opened the driver's glove box and retrieved a name and insurance information, which is what I submitted to this driver's insurance company. His insurance company claims that, although the policy is a valid one, the car involved in the accident is not listed on the insurance policy, and neither is the name listed on the accident report. They have since been extremely slow to respond to my claim, and haven't returned any of my phone calls. They also won't deal with my insurance company over this issue, and have been unhelpful and unresponsive to them.

What should I do? What are my rights in Illinois (Chicago)? What is the insurance company's obligation in a situation like this?

Lynx 36

If the car involved in the accident was not on the policy then the insurance company has no obligation to you. The only exception to this rule is if the car was bought w/in 30 days. One has 30 days after buying a car to add it to their policy. During that 30 day window there is coverage.

Let your insurance company fix your car and try to find out who the driver is.

little_lebowski

Thanks for the advice--I don't have collision, so my insurance company won't be fixing my car.

It looks like the car in question was recently purchased (no city sticker, etc.), however, so that may be the route I have to go. I'm thinking that something has to turn up eventually--someone is out of a late model honda civic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">