• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident - who is at fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pashdama

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
My son was in an auto accident where he was trying to make a left hand turn and hit another car that was trying to pass my son to the left of my son's car on a residential street. The other party is claiming that my son came out of nowhere with his headlights off and hit him. They are now saying there is a dispute in liability and it may go to arbitration. I have not had a chance to talk to my insurance company yet. But what should we do now??? How do we prepare to go to arbitration?

stephenk

Who told you it will be resolved in arbitration? Have you already filed a lawsuit against the other driver? Do you have an attorney representing you?

pashdama

No, we don't have an attorney. The other insurance company told my son that it may lead to arbitration if they can't resolve this when they talk to our insurance company.

lwpat

Arbitration is when the insurance companies get together and decide who pays. If they decide it was your son's fault, it will increase your insurance premiums. What did the police determine?

mometal77

I am in washington

pashdama said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
My son was in an auto accident where he was trying to make a left hand turn and hit another car that was trying to pass my son to the left of my son's car on a residential street. The other party is claiming that my son came out of nowhere with his headlights off and hit him. They are now saying there is a dispute in liability and it may go to arbitration. I have not had a chance to talk to my insurance company yet. But what should we do now??? How do we prepare to go to arbitration?
I have progressive and usually an insurance company has attornies there for you. Fyi though i dont trust insurance companies and go back to the scene of the accident and take pictures. And even of your car for the court. I had a lady from another country hit me one time head on and left the country had to hound the police dept in another county for whos fault it was. She crossed a double line turning into an ampm. If the cops showed up they should see whos fault it was. Why with some accidents you will see people out there with tripods taking pictures and seeing how fast everyone was going with skids of the car before impact. With any hits to a car a body shop can tell how fast people where going.. All the best of luck hope it works out for you.. Have been in a few of these. Dont trust other drivers..

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">