• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accidents and vehicle claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ldkali

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Missouri. My wife, daughter and I were hurt in a one car accident during hurricane dennis (fallen tree accross the highway). We were in a rental car and cover under my mother's insurance. The insurance company paid for the vehicle damages but said that there policy was that "you" can't file a liability claim against "your" own company! Is this true and legal?

More Info Plz....

Hi,

You said your mother had insurance on the rental. Doesn't that make you going after "your" insurance not a possibility unless you weren't going to use your mom's insurance? Were you going to use her insurance? Who was injured? Was your mom injured, hence the question about suing your "own" policy?

K

The answer to your question is that you cannot sue your own policy for liability. Liability coverage is for other people, not for yourself.

ldkali

whose policy is it?

if i, my wife or child don't live in the house and don't pay the premium, how is it our insurance? (Missouri) as for as liability is concerned if my mother is the policy holder aren't my wife, daughter and myself considered the other people covered?

Last edited:
S

shell007

Did "mom" get insurance on the rental through the rental company or was she driving the rental under her personal insurance carrier?

I don't know that the outcome will be different, but I was curious!

Last edited:

ldkali

whose insurance is it?

the rental was covered under her personal insurance and also she was not driving or in the vehicle at the time of the accident.

ldkali

Deestoveesto said:
Hi,

You said your mother had insurance on the rental. Doesn't that make you going after "your" insurance not a possibility unless you weren't going to use your mom's insurance? Were you going to use her insurance? Who was injured? Was your mom injured, hence the question about suing your "own" policy?

K
No "mom" was not injured. Only my wife, child and myself. Mom was not in the vehicle during the storm! Does this mean that my mother's personal insurance also becomes mine, my wife's and childs?

ldkali said:
No "mom" was not injured. Only my wife, child and myself. Mom was not in the vehicle during the storm! Does this mean that my mother's personal insurance also becomes mine, my wife's and childs?
Yes, and you cannot sue that policy under liability. Again, it's for the other driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">