• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto, deer =problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kbbmom26

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My son borrowed a car from a college roomate that stated he had insurance after my son told him that he did not and all he wanted in return was a lube, oil & filter which he did. On the way home an oncoming car hit a deer which knocked it into the path of the car my son borrowed and really made a mess of the front end which disabbled it. He called my husband and we had it towed to the nearest city so that it would not be vandalized. My son has offered to help get this car repaired to the point of it being drivable but the student says now all he had was liability and he wants my son to pay for it all including the bill that is being racked up at the storage facility or he is suing him. I feel they are both equily responsible and that they should figure out. The father of the student feels we are not teaching our son a good lesson and his sons lesson will be how to go to court. Who is liable for what in this instance? Both boys are over 18.

K

kbbmom26

I just think that they are both equally responsible given that the student should not have loaned his car with only liability on it and my son was at the wheel when deer hit. If my son had loaned his car out (which he does not have) and someone had borrowed it(which I don't know why someone would with only liability)and that person wrecked it and they had no insurance or were not going to get it fixed he would be walking until he could afford to get it fixed. We are trying to get these boys to be resourceful and get things done without relying on their parents to bail them out or being sue happy.

TYRIS

kbbmom26 said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon
My son borrowed a car from a college roomate that stated he had insurance after my son told him that he did not and all he wanted in return was a lube, oil & filter which he did. On the way home an oncoming car hit a deer which knocked it into the path of the car my son borrowed and really made a mess of the front end which disabbled it. He called my husband and we had it towed to the nearest city so that it would not be vandalized. My son has offered to help get this car repaired to the point of it being drivable but the student says now all he had was liability and he wants my son to pay for it all including the bill that is being racked up at the storage facility or he is suing him. I feel they are both equily responsible and that they should figure out. The father of the student feels we are not teaching our son a good lesson and his sons lesson will be how to go to court. Who is liable for what in this instance? Both boys are over 18.

-they are not equally liable.

upon driving the vehicle, your son assumed all liability and responsibility for the vehicle, regardless of whether his friend stated that he had full coverage or liablilty insurance only.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">