• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto injury - help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shall001

What is the name of your state? MD

My friend was leaving a party with a friend of hers. Friend #1 drove the car away while friend #2 was still on the runner board of the truck. Friend #2 fell off the board & was run over by the back tire. She broke her hand and sprained her foot and ankle & lots of contusions. They went immediately to the hospital. No reports were filed, no one called the police.

Can friend #1 get in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident? Also, does anyone know if #1's auto insurance would cover #2's medical bills? #2's med insurance won't cover othropedic surgeon visits. What might the result of all this be?

Thanks in advance!

ecmst12

Yes, the auto insurance should cover it. I'm not even going to ask what either of them were thinking!

shall001

thanks. just found out that #1 never filed a police report or contacted the police. any idea what kinda of penalty #1 might face? accident happened friday night.

moburkes

thanks. just found out that #1 never filed a police report or contacted the police. any idea what kinda of penalty #1 might face? accident happened friday night.
There is still time to file a police report. However, I can't find information which shows that it is required in MD. Were they drinking?

shall001

They were likely both drinking. I'm in MD, but the accident happened in PA, which I believe has a requirement to notify police, but I don't see anything about penalties for failure to do so.

moburkes

They were likely both drinking. I'm in MD, but the accident happened in PA, which I believe has a requirement to notify police, but I don't see anything about penalties for failure to do so.
It would have been nice to have included that in the original post.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">