• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ctrbmr

I live in VA and have 2 vehicles. My son is in the Air Force and is presently located in South Carolina. He is using one of my autos that is still licensed in VA and his permanent address is in VA. My insurance agent says he cannot insure that auto because it is in South Carolina. I wonder if this is accurate information because we could have to change insurance quite often if the Air Force chooses to move my son frequently to other states.

No-matter where your son lists as his home of record with the Air Force for tax and pay purposes he is still a resident of whatever state he lives in during his assignment. And, tus has to meet the licensing and insurance requirements of that state. Although, some states with large active duty military populations have certain benefits written in their laws that give the service members a break.

Your agent is correct, the car needs to be insured for the state in which it is located. It may be best to get a "national" carrier that specializes in insuring government employees. Also, it's just a matter of time before your son is transfered overseas. Hopefully, by then he can afford his own car and insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">