• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zebungua

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
If my insurence company sent a letter stating that the policy was expired at this certain date because of non payment and I got into an accident 5 days later and recieved a claim form from police report, because probably the info didnt get into police computers yet, that the insurance was cancelled. And then I reinstated the policy one month later with same company, would I be able to file that claim even though I wasnt insured, or in other words was there a grace period where I might have still been covered five days later? Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Zebungua said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
If my insurence company sent a letter stating that the policy was expired at this certain date because of non payment and I got into an accident 5 days later and recieved a claim form from police report, because probably the info didnt get into police computers yet, that the insurance was cancelled. And then I reinstated the policy one month later with same company, would I be able to file that claim even though I wasnt insured, or in other words was there a grace period where I might have still been covered five days later? Thanks.

My response:

No, there is no "grace period". When an insurance company says you're canceled as of a certain date and time, you're canceled as of that certain date and time. Period. End of story.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Zebungua said:
Thanks for the fast reply, I had figured that would be my answer, but had to be sure.

My response:

Always go with your initial thoughts and instincts. Those are usually the ones that are correct. You know, like the one you had when you first received the notice from the insurance company; i.e., "Uh, oh. I better buy insurance right now!" It's when you fail to listen to your gut instinct, and your inner voice, that's when you get yourself into trouble - - just like you did 5 days later.

IAAL

Zebungua

I didnt actually include whole story, I was not aware of cancellation, as my hubby takes care of bills, I found out in an awful way by asking him to come to scene of accident, because I didnt know if my vehicle was disabled and might need a ride home, he then tells me 5 days earlyer we have been cancelled, so I proceed to rip him a new one and tell him I had the right to know if my policy is in effect or not, but I do hear what you are saying about intuiation and gut feeling and "common sense to pay the bill or pay the consequence, thanks again.

JETX

Zebungua said:
I didnt actually include whole story, I was not aware of cancellation
Not relevant. The ONLY issue here is when you file your claim, showing the date of the accident, the insurance company will check your policy and see that it had lapsed. They will then deny your claim..... and that of the other driver (if one).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">