• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance claim question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

George Ritchken

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I was driving a rental car (rented from Maryland) and met with an accident in New Jersey. From the rental car company, I had taken the CDW(Collision Damage Waiver) for the rental car protection.
In addition, personally I am listed as the secondary driver in an auto insurance policy from GEICO that has the coverage of body injury, property damage, medical payments, collision etc).

Now according to the police report filed, I am at fault and a claim is being raised against me . I would appreciate if anybody could guide me through the following questions:
a) As a secondary driver listed in the policy, Is my insurance company (GEICO) liable to settle the claims with respect to property damage of the other party. In other words, can a secondary driver policy be used even though the car that met with an accident was a rental car.
b)If not, what other recourse is available to me .

Thanks

stephenk

in California, the rental car company's insurance for the rental car would be the primary coverage for the minimum amount of coverage that is required. Your GEICO policy would be excess (or above) the primary coverage.

Need to determine:

Did rental car company have insurance coverage or does their rental policy have your insurance being the primary policy?

In any event, you should talk to the claims people for the rental company and also advise your insurance company so they can be aware of what is happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">