• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance and Driver's License Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Georgia.

In May 2001, I had an auto accident that was my fault. I was seriously injured and don't remember much of what happened. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and the cop working the wreck looked for my proof of insurance in my car. He couldn't find it.

I started getting calls from the other driver's insurance company a few weeks later wanting my insurance info. Fearful that it would make my insurance even more expensive (or be cancelled), I avoided the phone calls (very bad decision). After a few months, I moved and they didn't track me down.

In 10/04, I got a call from a collection agency. They said that if I didn't make payment arrangements for the balance of $2500 or give them my old insurance information, they would file a request with the state of Georgia to suspend my license for driving with no insurance.

I used to switch insurance companies a lot to keep my premiums as low as I could (was over $200 per month back then). I am certain that I had insurance at the time of the accident, but couldn't remember who the carrier was. I tried every way possible to figure out who it was, but had no luck. The only choice I had was to set up a payment plan.

The collection agent (actually a nice guy) told me that the statue of limitations is four years for them to file for my license suspension. As of 5/05, the four years have passed. I have paid over half the balance due.

If I stop paying now, since the four years have elapsed, could they still suspend my license?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">