• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto insurance laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aaronardo1

What is the name of your state? Missouri Can I sue my insurance company if a driver of a vehicle is not insured but the vehicle he is driving is. He was with the registered owners wife and was looking sideways and rearended us . He was an uninsured motorist but the vehicle was insured.The vehicles insurance company is willing to settle . Would this be considered uninsured motorist as this case will probably exceed the policy limits on the vehicles insurance.

racer72

The vehicles insurance company is willing to settle .

Why would you have to consider suing anyone if the insurance company is making an offer? That sounds like the insurance company is covering the driver of the vehicle. The insurance company is only obligated to pay up to the policy limits. If your claim exceeds these limits, you would sue in order, the driver of the vehicle then the registered owner of the vehicle. You cannot sue the insurance company, they were not an at fault party to the accident. You really need to see a personal injury attorney if your claim is going to exceed the policy limits. The insurance company of the other vehicle will be obligated to defend the insured in court and their lawyers will eat you alive if you try to bring a case by yourself.

A

aaronardo1

Thanks for the info!! I hope they kill me before they eat me however if they are bound and determined to eat me alive then I will hire the best attorney I can find to help settle this and to save me the agonizing torture of my carcass being mutilated while I'm still alive. Thanks again!:)

W

wildy

racer72 said:
The insurance company of the other vehicle will be obligated to defend the insured in court and their lawyers will eat you alive if you try to bring a case by yourself.
Wouldn't that depend on the amount. Say the limit was 15k and damages were 18k. Would they really bother hiring lawyers, spending time in court etc. for such a paltry amount?

I would think if the amount that exceeded the policy limitations was under a certain amount that they'd gripe, moan and argue but ultimately settle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">