• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance for me and not car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SueBee1062

What is the name of your state? CA

The car I drive (2001 Toyota Echo) is in my parents name only. But it is "my car." I'm the only driver. They bought it for me because they were tired of paying for repairs on my former jalopies which was a financial nightmare.

They have full coverage for the Echo, but don't I need insurance also? Can a person be insured (auto insurance) if they don't actually "own" a car yet drive one anyway. Isn't it required by law? I can't imagine it's okay for me to drive all day without insurance even though the car itself is insured.

They really don't want it in my name (they haven't offered and I haven't asked) because they make all the payments and prob just don't want to yet until I'm ready to take over payments. (They are doing this for me because I'm getting on my feet after a recent split with my husband, so I'm a "freshly single mother."--code for: broke. Nice parents, huh!)

Who is actually insured...the person or the vehicle?

stephenk

the vehicle is insured and the policy also has requirements as to who can regularly drive the vehicle and be insured under the policy.

Just have your parents add you as an additional insured and you agree to pay the difference in the policy premium.

If you drive the car daily and get in an accident, the carrier may balk at covering you since they had no idea you were a regular driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">