• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto insurance settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindajs

What is the name of your state? TX
Question:
My daughter was involved in an auto accident in which she was determined to not be at fault. She has filed a claim with the other driver's insurance and they have agreed that they are responsible. My question is this: the hospital received payment from her private health insurance, Blue Cross, and the insurance company now needs reimbursement for their expenses, of course. My question involves the write off that the health insurance received from the hospital. The amount paid to the hospital by Blue Cross is just a fraction of the original charges from the hospital due to agreements between Blue Cross and the hospital. The auto insurance company is telling us they just need to pay Blue Cross back what they have paid, not the original billing amount from the hospital. Is that correct? If so, then she is ready to settle. But if she needs to collect enough from the auto insurance company to cover the original billing amount then she will have to hire a lawyer.

Age ! of involved: 24

fcobarr

Your daughter's health insurance will need to be reimbursed only for what they paid out. If the hospital has accepted the insurance as payment in full per their agreement with the insurance, then you will owe nothing. However, if your daughter has certain copay/deductibles to pay as part of her agreement with her health insurance, make sure she collects for those amounts as well.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">