• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto/Pedestrian accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Goodtmz

I am from North Dakota, and about two and a half years ago I was in an accident with a pedestrian. I hit the pedestrian, but was never cited. It was not declared my fault, but by ND law the driver of the vehicle is required to pay medical bills. My insurance company paid for the pedestrians bills, and I thought it was all said and done. This accident occured in high school and I am now in college, and living life to it's fullest. Just this evening an old friend from high school, who happened to have been in the car with me during the accident, called and told me a lawyer had called her and wanted to ask her some questions about the accident. He said he was representing the pedestrian and that she wanted more money. My question is, is this ok? They have not notified me or my insurance company or my parents, being they were my guardians at the time, about this investigation. Also, I was not cited, so it was not declared my fault correct? Can she being doing this and what are the steps she is taking. I am in college and am a totally different person than I was in high school I am in the process of joining a sorority and am working also. I am a very busy person and this is a huge problem that I don't need or want right now. what is going on? Please help. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Goodtmz said:
I am from North Dakota, and about two and a half years ago I was in an accident with a pedestrian. I hit the pedestrian, but was never cited. It was not declared my fault, but by ND law the driver of the vehicle is required to pay medical bills. My insurance company paid for the pedestrians bills, and I thought it was all said and done. This accident occured in high school and I am now in college, and living life to it's fullest. Just this evening an old friend from high school, who happened to have been in the car with me during the accident, called and told me a lawyer had called her and wanted to ask her some questions about the accident. He said he was representing the pedestrian and that she wanted more money. My question is, is this ok? They have not notified me or my insurance company or my parents, being they were my guardians at the time, about this investigation. Also, I was not cited, so it was not declared my fault correct? Can she being doing this and what are the steps she is taking. I am in college and am a totally different person than I was in high school I am in the process of joining a sorority and am working also. I am a very busy person and this is a huge problem that I don't need or want right now. what is going on? Please help. Thank you.
My response:

The Statute of Limitations on injury accidents in North Dakota is a whopping 6 years ! ! - - as opposed to, say, California, which is only 1 year.

The law firm is doing some preliminary investigations on the accident and, if everything appears the way their client has told them, they will commence a lawsuit against you.

Once you've been served with the Summons and Complaint, your insurance company at the time of the accident is on the hook to defend you - - even if they are no longer your insurance company today. Once served with the papers, contact your insurance company IMMEDIATELY and send copies of all papers you receive to the insurance company by CERTIFIED RETURN RECEIPT mail. DO NOT merely send it my regular First Class mail.

I'm sorry you're such "a busy person", that you are "living life to the fullest", and that you are in college - - that this matter is a "burp" in your life. But, despite all of that, if they do sue you, you're going to have to cooperate FULLY with the defense of your lawsuit - - otherwise, if you don't, your insurance company may have grounds to NOT cover you for the damages and judgment against you, if it should get to that point.

So, pay attention to what's happening, and cooperate with your insurance company.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">