• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmcshane

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

If you are involved in an accident and there is a second victim and there is a $10,000 maximum property damage policy, how is that policy divided. In my case, I have $12,000.00 property damage and the other victim had $7,000.00.

P

ProResearch

If you were not at fault AND you have collision coverage, it's better to turn the claim into your own insurance company and they in turn will get the division of the $10,000.

That's exactly what happened in my case. The guy who hit me had only 10K in property damage and damage to my car was around 16K. I submitted to my insurance company, got a really good amount after much negotiation, and they in turn subrogated the at-fault driver's insurance company for the 10K. My insurance did *not* go up. They got 10K (minus my deductible) and the salvage cost of my car which I understand was around $3,500. They weren't out that much.

Now if you don't have collision on your own insurance and you have to settle for what they give you, most likely they will give you a higher percentage of the 10K because you have more damages (not sure on this, anyone else?). My *guess* would be $4,000 for him and $6,000 for you (or $3,500 and $6,500).

If that doesn't satisfy you, you could file suit against the driver and try to get the full amount?

Let us know it turns out. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">