• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Theft Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HDRIDER

What is the name of your state? LA

My vehicle was stolen in New Orleans, LA, and recovered two weeks later. The automobile is currently located in a tow lot that is closed for the holidays. The information that I received from the NOPD indicates that the vehicle is in good condition. However, I don't think that I want the vehicle after it has been in the possession of theives for two weeks. I worry about undetected mechanical damage, and I'm also concerned that the vehicle's title may be branded in some way that could inhibit resale. I have comprehensive insurance that covers theft, but I know that the Ins. Co. will want me to take the automobile home. Do I have any rights that allow me to refuse the vehicle and request market value from the insurer?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Obviously you will want the vehicle to be inspected for damage, which will not be a problem. If the damage is fixable and not more then the vehicle's value, then no you cannot force your insurance to total the car and pay you more then the repair cost. Nothing will happen to the title. If you don't want the car anymore, trade it in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">