• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto theft claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Christy Tussey

My vehicle was stolen from my home and burned. This happened on Aug. 4, 2000. The insurance has yet to settle the claim. They are now requesting that we submit to a sworn statement. They have been slow from the beginning. The bank where the vehicle is bugging me wanting their money. I have no vehicle to drive. The adjustor has been so slack--giving me every excuse in the world when you can get in touch with her. Do I have any recourse? Is it possible to force them to speed up? Is it unusual for them to request the sworn statements? Is their any law pertaining to time limits for them? No matter how long they take, they are not going to pay any more on the vehicle. Isn't the fair market value of my stolen vehicle declining continuously? They have the vehicle and I have not received any compensation. They contend that they cannot give me any type of time frame.In my last conversation with them they said it could be another two to three months. Also, if I consult an attorney, can the company be made to speed up or compensate for any other costs associated with this? Thanks for any help!!!!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

As to the value of the car...you get the value at the time the car was stolen. That number won't change.

As to your bank -- show them proof of insurance company handling the matter. Tell them to wait because they won't get their cash any faster.

As to your insurance company: https://law.freeadvice.com/insurance_law/insurers_bad_faith/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">