• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

autoaccident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sta104ff

i am a pa volunteer fire fighter. on dec 13, 2000 at approx. 9:30 pm, i was responding to a call for a vehicle accident. road condition at the time were hazardous with freezing rain and sleet. while in route to the fire station, a motorist traveling the opposiye direction lost control of her vehicle, slid accross the roadway hitting my vehicle broadside and rolling me over. my vehicle came to rest on its passenger side with a gas meter through the passenger's side window. while i know medical expense and lost wages will be paid my question is this: My vehicle was a 1992 and is now totaled. i am expecting that the loss for my vehicke will be somewhere around $3500.00. I owe approx. $2500.00 on this vhicle leaving me $1000.00. I can not replace this vehicle with $1000.00 and am not in a financial position to be able to finance a loan. without a vehicle i can not work or go to school. do i have any option? i have limited tort ins. thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sta104ff said:
i am a pa volunteer fire fighter. on dec 13, 2000 at approx. 9:30 pm, i was responding to a call for a vehicle accident. road condition at the time were hazardous with freezing rain and sleet. while in route to the fire station, a motorist traveling the opposiye direction lost control of her vehicle, slid accross the roadway hitting my vehicle broadside and rolling me over. my vehicle came to rest on its passenger side with a gas meter through the passenger's side window. while i know medical expense and lost wages will be paid my question is this: My vehicle was a 1992 and is now totaled. i am expecting that the loss for my vehicke will be somewhere around $3500.00. I owe approx. $2500.00 on this vhicle leaving me $1000.00. I can not replace this vehicle with $1000.00 and am not in a financial position to be able to finance a loan. without a vehicle i can not work or go to school. do i have any option? i have limited tort ins. thank you
My response:

Unfortunately, you don't have much in the way of choices.

The law only provides for compensation to an agreived party for the "fair market value" of their losses. I understand your feelings; one day you had a vehicle, and the next day you had none - - and that all you want is a vehicle like you had before the accident.

But, that isn't the way the law works. And, on top of all of this, you may not even get the full $3,500.00 for your car. You see, it sounds like that's your estimate, and not an estimate based upon a professional estimate of the "fair market value" of your car on the date of the accident. The value could be more, or could be less.

At least, you'll have the loan paid on the wrecked car, which will place you in a position of being able to take the residual value you receive, and use that for a downpayment on another car.

If you are paid some money for your "pain and suffering" from the accident, that will be additional money for you that you can use.

I hope you're planning on seeing, or have retained, an attorney for yourself. That way, you can maximize your rights to damages and the money you're entitled to receive.

Wish I had better news for you. Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">