• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LLC

My children and I were involved in an automobile accident approximately 5 months ago. We were sitting at a traffic light and someone rear-ended us. Fortunately, both myself and the guy that hit us were both driving pick-up trucks as he did hit us hard. I took both my daughters to the doctor (they are 12 years and 8 years old), and my youngest daughter had a bruise clear accross her stomach from the seat belt, and her neck hurt. The doctor diagnosed her with a deep contusion to the stomach and a neck strain. My 12 year old was complaining of a headache and her neck hurting. The doctor diagnosed her with a cervical/neck sprain and gave her a prescription for the pain. She had a headache for about 5 to 7 days before it went away. This was the only time I took them to the doctor as they started feeling better after a few weeks.

Now, here is my question**************the gentleman's insurance company that hit us will not pay for their doctor bills until we settle the claim. I told the insurance company that I didn't feel the need to obtain an attorney because I didn't expect that I would need one because I don't want anything that's not due to me. However, the insurance adjuster only offered to settle my daughters claims by paying their medical bills and giving both my daughter's $100.00 each to settle.

I think that this offer was not a fair one. I feel that based on my children's ages and that my 12 year old really complained about her neck hurting for a while after the accident, the offer to settle should have at least been $500.00 each, in the event either one of them would have any future problems, particulary my 12 year old. Can you tell me if I'm out of line for thinking this way? I mean, by the time I add up my gas for my vehicle to take them to the doctor, my time off work to take them, gas to pick-up and drop off the rental car while my truck was being prepared and to and from the body shop and my time off work for this as well, I am losing money when the accident wasn't even my fault.

Is $500.00 a reasonable settlement amount for each child? Is their a typical settlement amount for these types of injuries and accidents. Please help as I have no clue what is fair and reasonable for this type of situation. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I almost forgot, we reside in Georgia. Thanks.:confused:

seniorjudge

LLC said:
My children and I were involved in an automobile accident approximately 5 months ago. We were sitting at a traffic light and someone rear-ended us. Fortunately, both myself and the guy that hit us were both driving pick-up trucks as he did hit us hard. I took both my daughters to the doctor (they are 12 years and 8 years old), and my youngest daughter had a bruise clear accross her stomach from the seat belt, and her neck hurt. The doctor diagnosed her with a deep contusion to the stomach and a neck strain. My 12 year old was complaining of a headache and her neck hurting. The doctor diagnosed her with a cervical/neck sprain and gave her a prescription for the pain. She had a headache for about 5 to 7 days before it went away. This was the only time I took them to the doctor as they started feeling better after a few weeks.

Now, here is my question**************the gentleman's insurance company that hit us will not pay for their doctor bills until we settle the claim. I told the insurance company that I didn't feel the need to obtain an attorney because I didn't expect that I would need one because I don't want anything that's not due to me. However, the insurance adjuster only offered to settle my daughters claims by paying their medical bills and giving both my daughter's $100.00 each to settle.

I think that this offer was not a fair one. I feel that based on my children's ages and that my 12 year old really complained about her neck hurting for a while after the accident, the offer to settle should have at least been $500.00 each, in the event either one of them would have any future problems, particulary my 12 year old. Can you tell me if I'm out of line for thinking this way? I mean, by the time I add up my gas for my vehicle to take them to the doctor, my time off work to take them, gas to pick-up and drop off the rental car while my truck was being prepared and to and from the body shop and my time off work for this as well, I am losing money when the accident wasn't even my fault.

Is $500.00 a reasonable settlement amount for each child? Is their a typical settlement amount for these types of injuries and accidents. Please help as I have no clue what is fair and reasonable for this type of situation. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I almost forgot, we reside in Georgia. Thanks.:confused:

You are the one with the kids and the medical records; we can't tell you what you should take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">