• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile Compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Coby

My car is rear ended and has been sitting/fixing for almost two months. Initially the damage was about $5000 now it's up to $7300. Most of the damage is to the body frame. I'm not sure if this car is safe to drive after body shop has done their work. I'm thinking about having other experty to check my car out to see if it is safe to drive.

My questions are

1. if the car is proven not to be safe, can I ask the Insurance company to buy it?
2. If the car is proven safe and I decided to drive this car, can I ask for the compensation on depreciated value for the car? I'm thinking I won't be able to get fair market value when I sell this car.
3. The market value of the car is $17000 and the cost of fix is $7300. Is there a rule that the car needs to be totaled when fix cost vs market value reaches certain ratio? Anyone know where I stand with this?

I live in Illinois.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">