• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

automobile payoff question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paramedic773

What is the name of your state? Alaska
I was rearended while turning. I called the insurance company of the driver who hit me. After a run around they finally took responsibility for damages. I am told that the rear axle needs to be replaced and the frame is bent. The question is...Do I have to accept his insurance company's settlement to fix my axle and straighten the frame? I have been told that once a frame is bent that I will have problems for the rest of the cars lifetime. I was told by his insurance company to just not tell the person that I sell it to that it has been in a wreck as Alaska is a non reporting state for wrecks to carfax. To me that is unethical and not an option. What are my real legal options? I have a lawyer for personal injury already. I am now worried about my SUV. Thanks :)

carofl93

Not sure about laws in Alaska, but you don't have to take what they offer. My hubby was in an accident here in FL and has rejected the low offer for the repairs on our car. We're currently waiting for them to make an amended offer. You will definitely have trouble selling the car with frame damage. How fast was the other driver going to do that much damage?

P

paramedic773

automobile payoff question

I was stopped waiting to turn and he was travelling around 50-55 mph and didn't break until a second or two before he hit me. He said he didn't see me until I moved to try and avoid him hitting me. Thanks for the reply :)

carofl93

Wow! I thought my hubby's accident was bad enough! We have a 67 Galaxie and the girl who hit him was driving a 2002 Camaro...needless to say our car said "Ouch...quit it", and her car was totalled LOL. I would think (not a lawyer or related to the legal profession in any manner) that if your frame is bent, your car should be totalled out because if you want to sell that car later on it can be deemed unsafe and they can issue a "Salvage title". You may want to ask the DMV about cars with bent frames to see what they say about it.

Happy Trails

Information on vehicles that may be deemed a total loss:

http://www.actif.org/salvage.asp

If it is deemed a total loss, it would be illegal not to properly salvage title.

It is responsibility of the owner to apply for a salvage certificato of title. Ala. Admin Code r. 810-5-17-01

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">