• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baby-sitting and traffic collision?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milk man

What is the name of your state? Kansas.

My 18-year-old daughter want's to baby-sit one day a week. She would have to pick a child up for daycare and drive to the child’s house.

If she is in a traffic collision and the child is hurt would our insurance take care of the bills? Could we be sued for what the insurance doesn't cover?

Is there anything else that might cause us legal problems that I don't know about?

ecmst12

Who owns the car? The driver and the owner could potentially both be sued in the event of an accident. I would definitely make sure the insurance has high enough limits to protect your assets in the case of an accident, if you are the owner of the car. Increasing liability limits is usually not too expensive and is definitely worth the peace of mind.

I can't imagine that picking up ONE child from school every day would be considered "business use" of the vehicle, it's not like she'd be running a taxi service or anything, but it certainly couldn't hurt to discuss the situation with your agent or customer service department and make sure she's covered for it. The saying "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission" definitely does NOT apply here!

milk man

You’re right about the increased limits.

I was in a serious traffic collision and it cost my insurance company $78,000. My limits where $100,000.

The kicker is the other driver didn't have any insurance. I was at fault, so I didn't make any waves about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">