• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitting...Child got hurt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hilaryjarrod

I was babysitting my friend's child in my home along with my child. My friend's child got hurt by stubbing her toe on the door. As a result her nail bed got infected. The pediatrician said it was from the bacteria on the door. I cleaned it and put antibiotic cream on it along with a bandage. Her nail is falling off though and her parents are threatening to sue. I called my homeowners insurance but do not know what the outcome will be with that because I was being paid for babysitting. I am not a daycare. Did I do the right thing and am I liable? They are demanding payment for the doctor's bills.

P

PamSJS

Dear Babysitter;

This is the 3rd time I've tried to respond to your post, and each time I get distracted. So, I'll try again.

Rule #1. When you keep children, whether relatives, friends, etc., always insist that the parents/guardians sign a waiver releasing you from responsibility if the child is accidentally injured.

I have never heard of a doctor telling a patient/parent that they contracted bacteria from a door. That is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in quite a while. More than likely, the infection is a result of improper care, ie., cleansing of the wound, properly dressing it, etc.

Your friend, (which, by the way, be careful who you call "friend.") is trying to hold you responsible for an injury her child sustained while in your care. Ask yourself this question....could the child have been injured the same way had the mother/father been there?

Unfortunately, kids get hurt. It's part of growing up. I seriously doubt you could be held responsible for this injury, as the allegations that the child contracted "bacteria from the door" is a joke! Relax and tell your friend to HIT THE ROAD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">