• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back injury from broken chair in hotel lounge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DanArnold1

Hi Ya
I live in Canon City Colorado. I em on SS disability for mental reasons. I some times have bad panic attacks when around a lot of other people. What happened to me is;
I was meeting my brother from Arizona at the lounge of the Canon Inn, the best hotel in town. It was early and few people were there or I wouldn't have been able to go in there. Any who, I got there first and took the chair at the end of the counter. It was a low counter top, not like a tall bar. They had those nice role around dining chairs to sit in at it. After I sat down I turned to watch the door for my brother and his wife to come in and started to lean back in the chair. Almost all of the screws in the seat of the chair that held it on its pedistal were missing so when I leaned back the seat and back of the chair just kept going back. I jurked forward trying to catch myself and grabed the edge of the counter top with my left hand. I ended up upside down with my legs in the air and my head and neck on the floor. When I could get up the bartender came over and said several times " I knew we had a broken chair in here but hadn't bothered to find it". I did get a writen statement from the manager telling what had happend.
I went in for an x-ray of my back the next day and could hardly move at all. My doctor said I had a sever sprain of my lower back. Since then I have tried several types of treatments for it with little results. One of the treatments was with the Pikes Peak Pain Management clinic and the insurance of the Canon Inn ok'd the treatments. Now 2 years after the incident they have denied covering it and I have been turned in for collection for $1500 for the treatments.
The accident happened in June of 1998. I have tried to talk to several lawyers around here but none of then want to take on the Canon Inn, or tell me that since I em on SS disability that I dont have any lost wages or anything to claim. But I have had several doctors tell me that I will most likely be in pain from this for the rest of my life and I em only 42. Since the accident I have been on strong narcotic pain killers & most likely will be for the rest of my life. And the only treatment that I have not tried is an operation on my back.
In summery, they knew that they had a broken chair in the lounge and admitted it several times. They promissed to cover treatments then denied to pay for them. They didn't denie coverage till 2 years after the accident.
What can I do about this? And what about the cost of all the painkillers that I need to make it from day to day and being in constant pain from this for the rest of my life?
It has been almost three years since the accident but during that time I have used it to try all the differant treatments that my doctor wanted me to try. I have heard that my time limmit to file suit was 2 years, but no lawyer that I talked to about it would tell me this, till after 2 years had gone by. But, since I have been turned in for collection for treatments that they, the insurance ok'd, does that extend the time for me to file a suit against the Canon Inn?
Thank you for any help that you can give me on this.
Dan A Arnold
Canon City, Colorado
e-mail; [email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DanArnold1 said:
Hi Ya
I live in Canon City Colorado. I em on SS disability for mental reasons. I some times have bad panic attacks when around a lot of other people. What happened to me is;
I was meeting my brother from Arizona at the lounge of the Canon Inn, the best hotel in town. It was early and few people were there or I wouldn't have been able to go in there. Any who, I got there first and took the chair at the end of the counter. It was a low counter top, not like a tall bar. They had those nice role around dining chairs to sit in at it. After I sat down I turned to watch the door for my brother and his wife to come in and started to lean back in the chair. Almost all of the screws in the seat of the chair that held it on its pedistal were missing so when I leaned back the seat and back of the chair just kept going back. I jurked forward trying to catch myself and grabed the edge of the counter top with my left hand. I ended up upside down with my legs in the air and my head and neck on the floor. When I could get up the bartender came over and said several times " I knew we had a broken chair in here but hadn't bothered to find it". I did get a writen statement from the manager telling what had happend.
I went in for an x-ray of my back the next day and could hardly move at all. My doctor said I had a sever sprain of my lower back. Since then I have tried several types of treatments for it with little results. One of the treatments was with the Pikes Peak Pain Management clinic and the insurance of the Canon Inn ok'd the treatments. Now 2 years after the incident they have denied covering it and I have been turned in for collection for $1500 for the treatments.
The accident happened in June of 1998. I have tried to talk to several lawyers around here but none of then want to take on the Canon Inn, or tell me that since I em on SS disability that I dont have any lost wages or anything to claim. But I have had several doctors tell me that I will most likely be in pain from this for the rest of my life and I em only 42. Since the accident I have been on strong narcotic pain killers & most likely will be for the rest of my life. And the only treatment that I have not tried is an operation on my back.
In summery, they knew that they had a broken chair in the lounge and admitted it several times. They promissed to cover treatments then denied to pay for them. They didn't denie coverage till 2 years after the accident.
What can I do about this? And what about the cost of all the painkillers that I need to make it from day to day and being in constant pain from this for the rest of my life?
It has been almost three years since the accident but during that time I have used it to try all the differant treatments that my doctor wanted me to try. I have heard that my time limmit to file suit was 2 years, but no lawyer that I talked to about it would tell me this, till after 2 years had gone by. But, since I have been turned in for collection for treatments that they, the insurance ok'd, does that extend the time for me to file a suit against the Canon Inn?
Thank you for any help that you can give me on this.
Dan A Arnold
Canon City, Colorado
e-mail; [email protected]

My response:

Colorado Revised Statutes section 13-80-102 states that "negligence" actions must be filed in court prior to the expiration of 2 years. Nothing extends that time period.

Sorry, but you are "time barred" from ever bringing an action against the hotel.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">