• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backed into a car in my drive way.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PING20

What is the name of your state?ARIZONA

I recently backed into my roomates girlfriends car that was parked in are driveway who was staying the night at the house I rent from my father. I have asked her many times to park on the street witch she will do sometimes but not always. Her car estiamte was about 1000. She reported it to my insurance company and I dont want it on my insurance. What are my opitions???I dont feel that I am really at fault since I told her not to park in the driveway before.
Also the police were never called. All help is apperciated. Thanks!!!!!

seniorjudge

PING20 said:

I recently backed into my roomates girlfriends car that was parked in are driveway who was staying the night at the house I rent from my father. I have asked her many times to park on the street witch she will do sometimes but not always. Her car estiamte was about 1000. She reported it to my insurance company and I dont want it on my insurance. What are my opitions???I dont feel that I am really at fault since I told her not to park in the driveway before.
There is no such thing as "negligent parking."

You hit, you pay.

S

shell007

She reported it to my insurance company and I dont want it on my insurance. What are my opitions???
So...Do you not want it on your insurance or Do you not want to pay at all?

If it is just a matter of not wanting it on your insurance.....Why not offer to pay her the $1000.00 out of your pocket to get her car fixed.

Either way...your fault!

BelizeBreeze

PING20 said:

The police were not called because it was on private property.

Either submit the claim to your insurance, your father's homeowner's insurance or be sued. The choice is yours.

PING20

Yes I dont want it on my insurance and wonder if i have to pay for a rental car for her while she has the repairs done for a couple days???

seniorjudge

PING20 said:
Yes I dont want it on my insurance and wonder if i have to pay for a rental car for her while she has the repairs done for a couple days???
No; if you are going to pay for it, tell her to get three estimates and YOU pay the lowest to the garage/repairman and have her sign a full and total release.

Make sure you see the title to the damaged car and have everyone on the title sign the release.

stephenk

Judge, I must respectfully disagree. She would be entitled to loss of use of the car for the time it is in the shop. The repair estimate should note how much time it will take to repair. The poster should pay for reasonable rental (about $25/day) for the time it will be in the shop.

BelizeBreeze

stephenk said:
Judge, I must respectfully disagree. She would be entitled to loss of use of the car for the time it is in the shop. The repair estimate should note how much time it will take to repair. The poster should pay for reasonable rental (about $25/day) for the time it will be in the shop.
And THAT is exactly why a do-it-yourself when there is insurance, is a stupid move. :eek:

Who's Liable?

stephenk said:

Correct...

teflon_jones

judge, are you losing your touch? ;)

seniorjudge said:
No; if you are going to pay for it, tell her to get three estimates and YOU pay the lowest to the garage/repairman
The person he hit is entitled to take the check directly and decide whether to fix the car or not.

seniorjudge said:
... and have her sign a full and total release. Make sure you see the title to the damaged car and have everyone on the title sign the release.
Also whoever is on the registration, not just the title, since they could differ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">