• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backed into a child on a bike

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MelleJenna

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Backing out of our driveway tonight, going about 2 MPH, we (my husband) backed into a small child on a bike. He came out of nowhere and ran into the back of our car. When I got around to the back, he was on his tricycle and said he was fine. I don't know where he lives, or how old he is (around 4 I think). I have seen him ride his bike into parked cars quite frequently in the neighborhood.

I'm not sure what to do! Can we be sued for this?? He wouldn't tell us anything except that he wasn't hurt. I'm worried sick about this...

stephenk

dont do anything. if he is okay, nothing will come of it. the fact he was not even crying says much about how little he thought of it.

M

MelleJenna

Worried

I'm just worried that his parents will have a fit. I would in their shoes, but I don't even know who his parents are! At least they've taught him not to talk to strangers!

M

MelleJenna

Thank you. He's outside ALL THE TIME by himself. I've never seen an adult with him, and he is REALLY little. That's not an excuse I'm trying to make, just a fact. I laid awake all night last night thinking about this. If this had happened to my little girl, I would be furious, but I'd also be mad at myself. His house is 8 houses down from ours, and he was by himself....

Z

zippa

Fair is fair......

If the parents are scumbags and decide to try and sue you, then report them to childrens services as an unattended 4 year old child at home alone.

Fair is fair.....

hm maybe you should do it anyway to protect the child, maybe the parents are drug addicts.

gowest

MelleJenna...

Your first post said you didn't know where the child lived... your last post said, "he lives 8 houses down". If you want legal advice that is reliable- you'll need to get your story straight.

Sounds like this child's parents (or parent) are oblivious to where the child is. You mentioned that you've seen him ride his bike into parked cars quite frequently... Is there a chance that the only guilt on your (husband's) part is that you didn't try to contact the parents prior to the accident happening?

Stephenks advice makes legal sense... but I wonder if what you're actually feeling is a "moral obligation" to try and protect this child from himself and his negligent parents?

I wish you the best in sorting out this dilemma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">