• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backed into my fender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gthotmail

What is the name of your state? New York

hi, last night I was driving my girlfriend home and on the way I stopped behind a SUV waiting for green light. Suddenly, he backed up really fast trying to allow the a big truck to exit of the gas station. He didn't stop until he backed into my fender. My headlights and hoods are all wrecked.

He said he did backed into me but he would tell police that I ran into his bender and I believe that what he told the police.

How do I fight this?
Did anybody have similar experiences?

Please help.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There was no other guys except the guy who backed into my fender.
In your original post, you said: "...he backed up really fast trying to allow the a big truck to exit of the gas station.

So, the question is, did you get any information from the driver of the big truck exiting the gas station?

ecmst12

Your word vs his....tough call. Unless something in the physical evidence indicates one way or the other, then what will probably happen is BOTH insurance companies (yours and his) will deny the other's claim, and you'll both have to pay for your own damages.

Zigner

Your word vs his....tough call. Unless something in the physical evidence indicates one way or the other, then what will probably happen is BOTH insurance companies (yours and his) will deny the other's claim, and you'll both have to pay for your own damages.
Well, there is always small claims court. ;)

ecmst12

If there's no physical evidence and no witnesses, the court is going to say the same thing, unless the judge finds one person or the other particularly non-credible. But the burden of proof is on the plaintiff - if he doesn't have some kind of proof, he's probably not going to win.

Zigner

If there's no physical evidence and no witnesses, the court is going to say the same thing, unless the judge finds one person or the other particularly non-credible. But the burden of proof is on the plaintiff - if he doesn't have some kind of proof, he's probably not going to win.
EC - look at it from the court's point of view:

Testimony from plaintiff that he was stopped and hit from behind.
Testimony from D that he was stopped and the plaintiff, in order to allow a phantom truck to exit the gas station, suddenly threw his car in reverse and slammed in to his vehicle.

Physical Evidence:
Damage to rear of plaintiff's vehicle.
Damage to front of D's vehicle.

ecmst12

The judge is allowed to give more weight to either driver's testimony if he wants. But strictly based on the two statements, I think a judge would be more likely to deny a suit from either party due to inability to determine which party is telling the truth.

Zigner

The judge is allowed to give more weight to either driver's testimony if he wants. But strictly based on the two statements, I think a judge would be more likely to deny a suit from either party due to inability to determine which party is telling the truth.
I understand where you're coming from :)

ecmst12

Unless a mechanic can tell you that something about the damage indicates that he was the one in motion and you were stopped, kinda yeah.

Hoe1979

Sorry I’m new to posting here so please don’t hold that against me but I have done numerous accident investigations regarding vehicles in my line of work. There are a few questions I would look in to so you can have all the facts if it goes to court. What were the weather conditions? Snow would have sown fresh tracks in front of the SUV of the big truck exiting the gas station. Dry condition would show if the SUV spun when he backed up. I would look at where the other vehicle initially struck your vehicle. Then compare the bumper height of the same model and year vehicle at a dealership. If the SUV had reversed very quickly like you have described the rear would have rose up and stuck you higher on your vehicle. I would also spend the 10 dollars or so to get a police report. (Side note: take several fives each station charges different and most only accept correct change, or at lest here in Iowa) Look it over see what the officer believe to have happened. It should also have the other driver’s statement of the event on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">