• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backed into vehicle parked in red zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lauracampbell

What is the name of your state?
California

I was backing out of my parking space at my apartment complex and hit my neighbors car which was parked by the red curb marked as a fire lane. Since they were illegally parked, am I legally responsible for the damages to their vehicle? I've been told that I am not because they were parked illegally, but I need confirmation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lauracampbell said:
What is the name of your state?
California

I was backing out of my parking space at my apartment complex and hit my neighbors car which was parked by the red curb marked as a fire lane. Since they were illegally parked, am I legally responsible for the damages to their vehicle? I've been told that I am not because they were parked illegally, but I need confirmation.

My response:

What is the causal relationship between parking in a red zone, and your right to damage property? Answer: There is none.

The fact is, the vehicle was there, and all because it was illegally parked doesn't give you the right, or a free ticket, to play "bumper cars". You damaged someone's property due to your negligence; i.e., You weren't looking where you were going.

In conclusion, you're on the hook - - and whomever told you otherwise wasn't an attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">