• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

backing out of driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisderrick

state: PA

Does there have to be a minimum amount of feet to back out of your driveway? Our neighbor parks directly across from our driveway and we can hardly get out without hitting their car.

Especially in the winter when the end of our driveway is a sheet of ice.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
state: PA

Does there have to be a minimum amount of feet to back out of your driveway? Our neighbor parks directly across from our driveway and we can hardly get out without hitting their car.

Especially in the winter when the end of our driveway is a sheet of ice.What is the name of your state?
Is your neighbor legally parked? (ie: wheels within the required distance of the curb).

moburkes

Have you tried backing into the driveway so that when you leave your house you are going forward?

But, as long as the neighbor is parked against the curb, and there is no local law against parking in the street, there is nothing you can do. Why haven't you parked your vehicle along the curb in front of their house?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Another option would be to petition your local government to have the curb across the street painted red. I doubt that will fly with the neighbor...but can't hurt to try :)

chrisderrick

backing in to my driveway?

I forgot to mention I live at the top of a steep hill! Which compounds everything! For me to back in I'd have to go up above my driveway with my car faced up towards the top of the hill and try to swing backwards into my driveway. It would be a nightmare! If it was slippery there's no way I could do it. All of us at the top of the hill have to start at the bottom of the hill in wintertime and gun it to make it to the top! There are two side street with stop signs but half the people never stop so I just blow my horn the entire way up to my driveway. Many times I've had to back down and begin again. They hardly plow our part of the hill so it's extra slippery and has huge snowbanks. Half the time trying to back down the hill I get stuck in a snowbank because the car slides.

Also if I did try to back in, the street is so narrow I would practically be on their lawn and if they had their car parked there it would be impossible!

You bet my first rection was to park across from their driveway but then (after counting to 100) decided that would just be stooping to their level. It's tempting! Especially since yesterday I nicely, calmly went over and told them (for the first time in 13 years) that it was hard for us to get out of our driveway when they parked directly across from it and they countered, "We can park wherever we want!"

moburkes

No laws are being broken.
It takes the same amount of space to back into the driveway as it does to come out of the driveway.
Park your OWN vehicle across from your driveway,then they can't park there.

MilMan

have you talked to your neighbor about it? As far as I know, as long as they are legally parked they aren't doing anything wrong but I bet if you just went and said "Hey, I'm really worried that I might hit your vehicle some day because there is hardly space to get out..." etc and be really nice about it, I bet they'll work with you on it. That is how I would handle it

ecmst12

When I lived in a house with a steep driveway, I parked on the street when it was icy. ONE time getting stuck on the ice on the way out and having to call a tow truck to get me out was enough! But sliding into a neighbors car would definitely have been worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">