• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad faith / Other party's carrier...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glennn2001

Hello,
I live in Maryland, where this accident took place.
This incident has now been dragged out for four months

Back in May, someone backed into the front of my car; fault was admitted by the driver and his insurance company assigned the case to an adjuster.

In the meantime, I obtained two separate estimates on my own: one came out to $1600+ ; the other $1800+

I faxed these estimates to them - as instructed by the guy assigned to my claim - but after several weeks passed, they said their guy would still have to inspect it himself.

He came out, assessed the damage and told me a check would be mailed to me within a few days; it was - for $542.00!!

Even as a layperson, I can look at the damage and see that it is well more than the amount they sent me. I have since been unable to get them to respond to my phone calls, emails or faxes.

I have submitted an online complaint with the state insurance department, but am not very optimistic that I'll even hear anything from them.
I don't want to let this go on too long as I'm concerned about time limits.

Also, it was suggested to me that I should not deposit the check I received as it implies acceptance of their estimate. Is this true?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">