• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grumpyclerk

What is the name of your state? CA

You guys might be able to help. My mom is being sued by the person she rear-ended last year. Anyways, the person who went to serve her gave the envelope to her neighbor's kids, that in turn gave it to their mom and she gave it to my mom. The day he gave it to the kids (they are like 7yrs old) was February 17. Now my question is can they serve you that way? Giving the summons to minors? Also, the summons says that she was personaly given the letter on February 10. Which is not true. Her hearing is tomorrow February 25. Was the way she was 'served' legal?

thank you in advance

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

grumpyclerk said:
What is the name of your state? CA

You guys might be able to help. My mom is being sued by the person she rear-ended last year. Anyways, the person who went to serve her gave the envelope to her neighbor's kids, that in turn gave it to their mom and she gave it to my mom. The day he gave it to the kids (they are like 7yrs old) was February 17. Now my question is can they serve you that way? Giving the summons to minors? Also, the summons says that she was personaly given the letter on February 10. Which is not true. Her hearing is tomorrow February 25. Was the way she was 'served' legal?

thank you in advance

My response:

First, what is the "hearing" about? Second, is she represented by counsel?

IAAL

G

grumpyclerk

I believe it is a case management hearing, they said that if she doesn't show up, she might lose the case. It is at the L.A. Superior Court. Her insurance company is supposed to get her someone to represent her but they haven't answered her calls. The hearing is tomorrow and still they haven't called her back. She faxed and called them immediately after she got the papers. She tried to get another lawyer to help her but he said no that her insurance would have to get someone for her.

They really didn't give her enough time, she received them on the 17, the hearing is tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">