• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rgarrett67

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
Dark foggy morning. Man pulls out of service station we believe with no lights on. Wife rearends him on left of his vehicle.His spine was severed and he is paralyzed. My wife's back was also broken. He had no seatbelt on and no valid drivers liscence. He is already on disability and is partially paralyzed already and on medication for pain,etc.I've heard from numerous people that weeks prior he had stated that he didn't want to live any longer. The poor man has had it rough but I don't feel responsible. We both carry the same insurance and his wife is suing. What should I do next?

seniorjudge

rgarrett67 said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi
Dark foggy morning. Man pulls out of service station we believe with no lights on. Wife rearends him on left of his vehicle.His spine was severed and he is paralyzed. My wife's back was also broken. He had no seatbelt on and no valid drivers liscence. He is already on disability and is partially paralyzed already and on medication for pain,etc.I've heard from numerous people that weeks prior he had stated that he didn't want to live any longer. The poor man has had it rough but I don't feel responsible. We both carry the same insurance and his wife is suing. What should I do next?
You need to hire a lawyer yesterday.

rgarrett67

It's about all we can do to make it from paycheck to paycheck. Should I let my insurance lawers handle it right now and defend me?

moburkes

Yes, your insurance company's lawyer will defend you up to the policy limits. However, it may be cheaper to find $ to fight the charges (after the insurance is exhausted) than to try to fight it on your own. I understand about not having money, but if you don't have it now, how much will you have if you lose, and they get judgments to garnish your checks, bank accounts, etc?

Good luck. I hope your wife is okay (as well as can be expected with a broken back).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">