• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for accident I was not involve in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icunursemicki

What is the name of your state? Ohio
On 11/17/05, I was named the defendant in a auto accident that took place 12/28/03. I was not involved in this accident, as I no longer was the owner of the car. Anyways, I explained this and the defendant voluntarily dismissed the case. In the beginning of July '07 I was looking over my credit report and asked Trans Union to remove the case from my credit report, which they did investigate and remove. In the mean time, the defendent re-filed the case against me on 7/31/07. Can he try to "re-sue" me? Is there a time limit? I did have full coverage insurance that would cover the claim, but I was not involved. I recently found out this accident is on my driving record and has caused my insurance premium to increase for the last few years. Can I counter-sue him?

moburkes

No, there is nothing to counter sue for. Did you complete ALL of the paperwork required to get the vehicle out of your name? Who did you sell the vehicle to?

You can turn the lawuit paperwork over to your insurance company. If you truly didn't own the vehicle (no mistakes in tranferring it over to the new owner), they will get it taken care of for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">