• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for accident, NEED HELP!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grndscrpr03

What is the name of your state? IL

Ok well August 9th, 2002 I was involved in a wreck while working. I was working for Jay's Foods LLC, which delivered potato chips here in IL. I was driving a box/step van truck like Frito-Lay drivers use and was in a wreck with a firetruck at an intersection. I was cited for running a red light even though I don't believe it to have been red. I didn't get a lawyer or anything and just pleaded guilty to the ticket at the time and paid the fine. Now today a guy just dropped off a summons for a court appearance about the whole thing. Apparently one of the guys in the firetruck was hurt, even though he was walking around that day after the wreck, and is now suing me for $50000 plus costs of suit. I hadn't heard anything more about this ordeal til today, never knew the guy was hurt or that anything else was wrong. Thought it was all over with after I went to court, but I guess not. So what should I do? I am currently unemployed and don't have the money to hire an attorney. I have to make an appearance in court anytime within the next 30 days is what the summons says. I don't know jack about the legal system so hopefully someone here can help me out. Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">