• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for an accident where no one was hurt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wunderama

Hi,

Back in January, husband was driving my son to school early one morning (7am) and when he was making a left hand turn around the corner from the school, he tapped a female child (who attends same school as my son) on the leg and she fell on to the car. My husband was driving extremely slow so the child was not hurt. He did get out of the car to find out if she was alright. She wanted to continue walking to school but my husband insisted she get in the car and he would drive them both to school. He did and upon getting there immediately alerted the school officials to what had happened. The police were called, a report filed and the child refused medical attention. My husband wanted her to be taken to the ER to have an X-ray or whatever but she refused. The school nurse was there and took a look at her leg which was unbruised. My husband received a copy of the police report and was told he could leave and that school officials would alert the child's parents. We heard nothing more until this week when we received a letter from a lawyer with this child's name on it requesting our insurance company information.

My question is..what's next here? Are we to be sued where no injury occured to this child? We have since seen this child walking back and forth to school with no problems. What do we do next? Our insurance company knows what's going on. I'm just wondering what to expect now. Also if they try to file some type of fraudulent claim do we have any recourse for recouping lawyers fees, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Michelle/[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">