• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for an auto accident after 2 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hockeygirl

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm trying to find out what the difference is between the statute of limitations for an auto accident (personal injury) which is 2 years and "injury to property" which is 5 years.

I was recently summoned to court for an accident that occured over 2 years ago and I was thinking that it's past the statute of limitations but someone responded to my previous post saying that I would be held liable under the "injury to property" statute instead.

If that's the case - why even have a separate statute for auto accidents? Couldn't any auto accident fall under the "injury to property" statute?

seniorjudge

hockeygirl said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm trying to find out what the difference is between the statute of limitations for an auto accident (personal injury) which is 2 years and "injury to property" which is 5 years.

I was recently summoned to court for an accident that occured over 2 years ago and I was thinking that it's past the statute of limitations but someone responded to my previous post saying that I would be held liable under the "injury to property" statute instead.

If that's the case - why even have a separate statute for auto accidents? Couldn't any auto accident fall under the "injury to property" statute?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=299475

duplicate post

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">