• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued but no charges from police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thunderbird06

Iowa My dad pulled out on the blind side of a hill and was hit by a teenager flying too fast. The boy had rods put in his legs due to injuries. There were no charges filed by the state patrol except a seatbelt ticket to my dad. Their insurance company has notified ours that they are going to sue for probably 2-3 million. Can this happen when there are no charges/no guilt admission? What steps (other than a good defense lawyer) should my dad take to help himself and get ahead of the game?

seniorjudge

Thunderbird06 said:
Iowa My dad pulled out on the blind side of a hill and was hit by a teenager flying too fast. The boy had rods put in his legs due to injuries. There were no charges filed by the state patrol except a seatbelt ticket to my dad. Their insurance company has notified ours that they are going to sue for probably 2-3 million. Can this happen when there are no charges/no guilt admission? What steps (other than a good defense lawyer) should my dad take to help himself and get ahead of the game?
Q: Can this happen when there are no charges/no guilt admission?

A: Certainly; the proof needed for a criminal charge is beyond a reasonable doubt. The proof for a civil charge is a lot less.

Q: What steps (other than a good defense lawyer) should my dad take to help himself and get ahead of the game?

A: A good defense lawyer is the best step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">