• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued, but not involved.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diesel00

What is the name of your state? California
My wife and I received a letter from a lawyer stating that because of negligent driving we caused an auto accident and are now being sued. The letter listed our License plate number but the car it stated caused the accident was not ours. The car they stated we were driving was an SUV and we have a midsize sedan. There is no way these 2 types of cars could be confused.
We also were both at work when the accident occured, we work at least an hour away from the city were the accident allegedly occured and we live about 2 hours away from the city.
We have tried contacting the attorney but he has not returned any of our calls. Our court date is coming up, and I was wondering what we can do to prove we were not involved in this accident.

stephenk

what court date is coming up? were you served a Summons and Complaint? Were you just sent a letter? have you notified your insurance company?

diesel00

Sorry, I was served a summons August of this year. We were changing insurance companies at the time, there was about a week span where we had no insurance and the accident they claim we were involved in happened right in the middle of that week. Neither insurance company would assist.

stephenk

August? Have you filed any written response to the court denying the allegations in the Complaint? If no, you better go to the courthouse tomorrow and request to see the file. If the other party has entered a default against you, you will need to file a motion to set aside the default and be allowed to answer the complaint.

Run and hire an attorney ASAP!

Again, what court date is coming up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">