• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by Geico in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike72989

I was in an accident back in 2013. The accident happened because I went through a stop sign. I went through the stop sign because my brakes failed. I had the car inspected after the accident and it determined my rear passenger caliper was leaking and the car was without brake fluid. I took the inspection report to court and got the failure to yield the right of way ticket dismissed. My car was totaled and so was the other. I only carried the basic pip insurance (minimum needed to drive legally). The driver of the other vehicle was driving on a suspended license. The passenger claimed to have bodily injuries. The vehicle had not been transfered from the previous owner to the person driving or the passenger. Everyone walked from the accident no ambulances. New year's Eve I was served papers from the clerk of court stating Geico is looking to collect $30,000 from me because they paid that to the passenger that claimed injury. Turns out the girl sued the insurance company (Geico) of the previous owner and was rewarded 30k. There are videos online which are time stamped and I have saved of the "victim" doing semi acrobatic pole dancing stunts and showing off her flexibility. They were posted about a year after the accident. How worried should I be about this? What should I expect to be the outcome from this?

justalayman

A lawsuit has been filed. You should be very concerned about this. If your insurance company (at the time) has not contacted you you need to contact them.

FlyingRon

As you've been told, your insurance company will handle this. Certainly let them know about the evidence you may have about the lack of injuries.

Note that the ticket is all about INTENT. In the case of damages for the accident, you could be very much held responsible for the damages because your vehicle's equipment failed.

ecmst12

If OP didn't have BI liability coverage, then he needs a lawyer immediately. Which will be expensive, but less expensive than the amount he's being sued for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">