• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued over auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LBH

What is the name of your state?

ohio

I received a "complaint" from our clerk of courts. I am being sued for being and underinsured motorist. I carry 100K/300K limits. I am a co-defendent along with my insurance agency. The complaint states that the plaintiffs have over 100K in damages, etc.

Question? I know my insurance company has to "defend" me but should I also take this complaint to my own attorney. I don't want to risk the chance of loosing my home over this lawsuit.

I find it hard to believe they have over 100k in damages. They were only treated for minor injuries and released within an hour or so from the ER.

My insurance company told me they have only paid for the vehicle damage and no liability settlement to this point.

Am I over reacting. Should I leave this in the hands of my insurance company?

Thanks for your prompt answer to my post.:)

P

ProResearch

I would hire my own attorney in this case. The insurance company will be looking out for their best interest in their *defense* of you, which would be policy limits. After that, if the other party should get more in the settlement/judgment, they would come after your assets.

It would not hurt to consult with an attorney or three. The first visit is usually free. Do not sign any papers with a lawyer until you are comfortable they know the issues. Be sure to tell them everything. Find one who is a member of Association of Trial Lawyers of America if possible. See http://www.atlanet.org/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">