• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued twice for same thing....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Havendell

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I was in an auto accident that was my fault. I had no insurance at the time and was taken to court over the damages to the other vehicle. They were awarded zero damages. Now I am being sued for the same thing again by the same company. My question is: Can they do this? Can they sue my again for the same thing, just because they weren't awarded anything? If so, where does it end?!
Thanks for the help!
Havendell

S

seniorjudge

Havendell said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
I was in an auto accident that was my fault. I had no insurance at the time and was taken to court over the damages to the other vehicle. They were awarded zero damages. Now I am being sued for the same thing again by the same company. My question is: Can they do this? Can they sue my again for the same thing, just because they weren't awarded anything? If so, where does it end?!
Thanks for the help!
Havendell
If you were at fault, then why did the court decide zero damages?

Which court?

Who sued you the first time? When?

Who sued you the second time? When?

Facts?

Details?

Havendell

Why the zero charges? Probably because neither one of us showed up for the court date. I'm not sure though.
I was sued the first time on 10/2003 by Nationwide Insurance in the local municipal court.
I am now being sued by the same company and have a court date on April, 27th.
The details are this: I ran a stop sign and hit another vehicle, doing minor damage to the bumper. I had no insurance at the time. Nationwide asked me to pay the damages back. I am not able to do so because I barley make enough money to pay rent and utilities. So, they sued me for it. I didnt hear anything back from them after the court date so I checked my credit report where I found that they were awarded zero damages. Just the other week I recieved a letter from the same court stating that I am being sued by the same company for the same thing.
Thanks for responding! :D
Havendell

S

seniorjudge

Havendell said:
Why the zero charges? Probably because neither one of us showed up for the court date. I'm not sure though.
I was sued the first time on 10/2003 by Nationwide Insurance in the local municipal court.
I am now being sued by the same company and have a court date on April, 27th.
The details are this: I ran a stop sign and hit another vehicle, doing minor damage to the bumper. I had no insurance at the time. Nationwide asked me to pay the damages back. I am not able to do so because I barley make enough money to pay rent and utilities. So, they sued me for it. I didnt hear anything back from them after the court date so I checked my credit report where I found that they were awarded zero damages. Just the other week I recieved a letter from the same court stating that I am being sued by the same company for the same thing.
Thanks for responding! :D
Havendell

You didn't answer all my questions but my GUESS is that since no one showed up the first time, there was no judgment and the judge dismissed the case without prejudice, which means that they can re-file it.

Havendell

Thanks for the answer. Sorry for not answering all of your questions, but that's all I know.
How would I find out if the case was dismissed without prejudice? Go to the clerk of courts and ask them?
Thanks again!
Havendell

S

seniorjudge

Havendell said:
Thanks for the answer. Sorry for not answering all of your questions, but that's all I know.
How would I find out if the case was dismissed without prejudice? Go to the clerk of courts and ask them?
Thanks again!
Havendell
Yes, go ask the clerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">