• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being summoned after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steinie

We are in PA. About 2 years ago my wife was involved in an accident where she crested a hill with a blind spot (at the crest you could not see anything on the other side). An accident further down the road caused the traffic to stop. When my wife came over the hill she saw the stopped traffic, slammed on her brakes and veered to the right but clipped the car in front of her and hit a telephone pole. The officer who responded stated that my wife was not at fault, that there should have been traffic control (via fire dept. or other) due to the incident further down the road. Nothing ever came of the car she hit outside of what the insurance covered. She was travelling with a friend at the time and after the accident both were outside the car and walking around. The officer suggested they both go to the hospital which they did. Her friend stayed in the hospital for two days stating she re-injured a previous back injury. My wife has now been issued a summons from the passenger (we have not received it yet since she has not been home to sign for it and they would not release to me). We are trying to what we could be liable for. At the time we were not married, my wife was in college and living with her parents. Can anything we have now, but not then, be suspect to being claimed (ie. we bought a house last year). At the time my wife had no job or savings, typical college student. Her friend has since graduated college, has a new car and condo and is working as a nurse. Please advise.

L

lawrat

The accident occurred prior to marriage -- it is her separate debt. Her insurance company should be able to take care of it, so don't fret the losing the house thing.

Relax and track the information on the fault of the city (i.e. no warning lights, etc) and give this to your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">