• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bicycle Auto Collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkbtampa

My wife was in downtown Seattle yesterday going out with a friend. As she turned left into a parking lot from an uphill two way street a bicyclist riding down the sidewalk the opposite direction (coming at her downhill) caught his left pedal on the front license plate of the car and fell off the bike. My wife attempted to stop once the bicyclist appeared, however obviously did not. She got out of the car to check on the rider who appeared shaken but no major injuries. Due to shock and bc of the rider's insistence not to involve insurance they did not get an official police report. She felt bad for the guy and bc of her shock she felt partially responsible bc she was driving a car and he was on a bike. So she gave him $250 for new bike shoes and any other minor damage to his bike. Out of consideration she gave him a ride home approx 10 minutes away where they exchanged phone numbers and a note indicating the receipt of the $250.

After reflecting on the incident, my wife and the witness realized the biker was riding on the sidewalk and not in the bike lane as she thought. Again, the shock of the situation caused her not to pay attention to that detail prior. My concern is what legal recourse the biker could take considering no report was filed documenting the incident and assigning fault.

What action should I have my wife take now?
I think we need to get an affidavit from our friend highlighting her observations that the biker was not in the bike lane and travelling at a fairly high pace downhill down the sidewalk (which is exactly what she indicated). I also think she needs to discuss with our insurance to understand what to do in order to protect ourselves personally from any potential claim and document now (after the fact), what the insurance company requires.

Other facts:
She crossed double yellow lines (the type you can cross when entering a driveway)
She had a witness in the car, the rider did not take photos or statements at the scene.
The rider indicated he was fine and no bodily injury occurred. He indicated he had prior hip issues but they did not seem to be impacted.
He indicated he had a flat tire on the bike prior to the accident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After reflecting on the incident, my wife and the witness realized the biker was riding on the sidewalk and not in the bike lane as she thought.
There is nothing wrong with riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

From http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikecode.htm:

Section 11.44.120 RIDING ON A SIDEWALK OR PUBLIC PATH. Every person operating a bicycle upon any sidewalk or public path shall operate the same in a careful and prudent manner and a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation, taking into account the amount and character of pedestrian traffic, grade and width of sidewalk or public path, and condition of surface, and shall obey all traffic control devices. Every person operating a bicycle upon a sidewalk or public path shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian thereon, and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.

ecmst12

A passenger in one's own car is not an independent witness. Testimony would not be considered more reliable than the driver.

jkbtampa

A passenger in one's own car is not an independent witness. Testimony would not be considered more reliable than the driver.
Good point, I never thought about that. Would it even be worth getting a statement from her? Not trying to build a case against the rider or getting out of fault...more so thinking it would be at least a shred of documentation when they don't have much.

Thanks for the feedback.

Zigner

Good point, I never thought about that. Would it even be worth getting a statement from her? Not trying to build a case against the rider or getting out of fault...more so thinking it would be at least a shred of documentation when they don't have much.

Thanks for the feedback.
Why do you think a statement would help? The bicycle was allowed to be there...

jkbtampa

Why do you think a statement would help? The bicycle was allowed to be there...
My intention with a statement would be to at a minimum establish a baseline of incident details. Without that, if the rider a year from now claims so and so....I would like it on record some details from the driver and passenger perspective. The farther from the incident the opportunity for distortion of details increases. While the bicycle is "allowed to be there" per the code they are not allowed to operate imprudently. If the passenger and driver feel that is the case I wanted it documented. If they felt my wife was in the fault, I would like it documented. But what I don't want is this rider coming back and claiming something happened that didn't.

On a related note, how long would the rider have to come back and claim bodily injury from this incident? If they don't see a doctor immediately to establish injuries and wait a year, could they come back and claim an injury form result of this accident? Seems to me they would have trouble claiming that, due to the time that has passed and any other injuries they incurred since then.

Also, I understand the theory of a passenger not being a witness, but when they make an official statement aren't they subject to perjury laws? So why wouldn't their statement carry any weight at all? Seems like that is the same as calling a character witness, who is a friend/associate, to the stand during a trial? Just wondered, I found conflicting feedback to that matter online.

Zigner

My intention with a statement would be to at a minimum establish a baseline of incident details. Without that, if the rider a year from now claims so and so....I would like it on record some details from the driver and passenger perspective. The farther from the incident the opportunity for distortion of details increases. While the bicycle is "allowed to be there" per the code they are not allowed to operate imprudently. If the passenger and driver feel that is the case I wanted it documented. If they felt my wife was in the fault, I would like it documented. But what I don't want is this rider coming back and claiming something happened that didn't.

On a related note, how long would the rider have to come back and claim bodily injury from this incident? If they don't see a doctor immediately to establish injuries and wait a year, could they come back and claim an injury form result of this accident? Seems to me they would have trouble claiming that, due to the time that has passed and any other injuries they incurred since then.

Also, I understand the theory of a passenger not being a witness, but when they make an official statement aren't they subject to perjury laws? So why wouldn't their statement carry any weight at all? Seems like that is the same as calling a character witness, who is a friend/associate, to the stand during a trial? Just wondered, I found conflicting feedback to that matter online.
Your insurance company should be notified of the incident so that they are aware of the possibility of a claim. That way, if the cyclist does come back at a later date, the insurance company will handle it.

jkbtampa

Your insurance company should be notified of the incident so that they are aware of the possibility of a claim. That way, if the cyclist does come back at a later date, the insurance company will handle it.

Sounds great, at least we did one thing right. I asked my wife to go to the insurance company the next day to document the potential claim. Which she did and they confirmed converge for that type of incident. Thanks for the feedback...it's not everyday this occurs. However, my wife and I both learned (which we should already have known) from this to get a report no matter what after any incident.

LdiJ

Sounds great, at least we did one thing right. I asked my wife to go to the insurance company the next day to document the potential claim. Which she did and they confirmed converge for that type of incident. Thanks for the feedback...it's not everyday this occurs. However, my wife and I both learned (which we should already have known) from this to get a report no matter what after any incident.
Your own insurance company is generally pretty understanding if you properly report the incident when it happens, because that makes them aware and prepared if something happens in the future. I suspect that many here have "been there done that" when relatively minor incidents happen with another party who refuses to allow insurance to be involved.

Yes, its better to get a police report, but sometimes its just not possible. I left the site of an "incident" once because the other party insisted I leave if I wasn't able to give them the cash they demanded on the spot...and insisted on it in a way that left me afraid for my safety. I did report it to my insurance company and they told me that I did the right thing by leaving.

hellengeek

So she gave him $250 for new bike shoes and any other minor damage to his bike. Out of consideration she gave him a ride home approx 10 minutes away where they exchanged phone numbers and a note indicating the receipt of the $250.

250$ is enough ???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">