• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bicycle/automobile accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lenny2000

Hi, I recently hit a eleven year old boy while I was driving to pick up my 13 year old boy from school. It happened near the school on a busy street. I was going the speed limit. The street that we were on was a two lane street. As I approached the school grounds two boys on bikes came racing towards me. Just as they were about to pass me in the opposite direction, the boy that was closest to the curb pushed the other boy into oncoming traffic. I immediately stopped and checked to see if the boy was alright. To my surprise he seemed to be ok. I probably asked him 10 times if he felt any pain whatsoever. He said that he didn't feel any pain at all. His bike looked to be intact except for a brake line that was snapped and a reflector that was broken. I asked the boy to come with me to the principal of school. There I told the principal my explanation and viewpoint on what occurred. When questioned the boy agreed about what had happened, just as I had told it. He gave the name of the boy who had pushed him into traffic to the principal. The principal informed me that he would deal with the matter concerning the two boys. He also asked me for my drivers license and phone number just incase he needed it.
Here is my problem, (aside from the possibility that the boy could be injured and not know about it). First of all I failed to take care of a traffic violation ticket. I went to the DMV to check on my driver's license immediately after the accident. Unfortunately, I found that my license was suspended prior to having the accident. I'm pretty sure that because I didn't pay for this ticket (It should have been taken care of months ago)I have a bench warrant. How long do I have to make a police report if I decide to make a police report? I would like to take care of the warrant soon through the court system instead of with the police--which is why I don't want to deal with the police directly.
It didn't look as though my car had sustained much damage other than a small dent, but when I got the car home I noticed that my doors would not shut or open correctly. Do I have any course of action for reparations so that the police do not have to be directly involved? Is there a way for me to get the "offender's" parents to give me monetary compensation for my car's damages? Can I gain compensation through small claims court without a police report being involved. Will I absolutely need a police report if I take this matter to small claims court?

Thank You,
Sincerely,
Lenny.

ALawyer

First, I hope you notified your insurance company. The boy you hit or his parents may sue, and unless you notify the company the coverage may not protect you.

Second, that you were "going the speed limit" may not be enought to exculpate you. It may have been too fast under the circumstances.

Third, if you sue you possibly will be the subject of a couterclaim, for more that you are suing. As for the lack of a license, I can not advise you at all. But I'd ask a local lawyer what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">