• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bicycle Rack - Laws ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrdaytrade

Real Situation:
If I attached a bike rack to the back of my car and drive with the bikes (2) attached, then get rear ended, who is responsible for the damage? Would the driver of the other car be responsible since they rear ended me or would I be responsible since the bikes were blocking my bumper. Thank you very much.
The state is Connecticut.

L

LawScott

It depends on who was negligent. Most often it's the guy doing the rear ending. But not always. Let's say the front car slams on the brakes as a joke. Then the front car is negligent.

Adding the bicycles, in and of itself, does not change the result. But what if the bicycles completely obscure the brake lights, and it's dark? Then maybe you are negligent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">